Depression or depressive disorder is a mental health condition which is marked by an overwhelming feeling of sadness, isolation, and despair. This condition may result in an obstructive interference in daily house-holds. Depression may also cause a feeling of extreme sadness which cay further lead to the thoughts of suicide. Depression is not a regular feeling of sadness or despair, it is completely different. Depression can affect people of any age group at any time in any corner of the world. Depression hits twice as much as women as compared to men according to a survey. In this section, we will highlight on causes and symptoms of depression. Furthermore, treatment of depression will also be highlighted.
Causes of Depression
Doctors are still struggling to find the exact cause of depression but, an imbalance in chemical signaling of the brain can result in depression. Some distressing life situations like job loss, divorce, death of a loved one, and childhood trauma can result in depression as well. Mostly, depression is also caused by a combination of genetic, biological, environmental, and psychological factors.
Certain medical conditions can also be a triggering factor in depression such as underactive thyroid gland, cancer, heart disease, prolonged pain, and other significant illnesses.
According to the National Institute of Health, some sedatives such as sleeping pills and high blood pressure medications may lead to depression as well.
Symptoms of Depression
People with depression may face various symptoms but most importantly they face despair or an extreme feeling of sadness. Some other symptoms may also include:
- Irritation, agitation, or restlessness
- Lower sex drive
- Inability to focus or make decisions
- Insomnia or sleeping too much
- Change in appetite
- Tiredness or lack of energy
- Unexplainable crying spells
- Feeling hopeless or worthless
- Withdrawal from a social environment
- Thoughts of death or suicide
- Unexplainable physical symptoms such as headaches or body aches
These are some of the symptoms of depression.
Treatment of Depression
Doctors have recommended psychotherapy therapy, medications or a combination of two for treating depression.
- Psychotherapy: doctors recommend that psychotherapy or counseling works best for patients dealing with depression. In psychotherapy, a patient is treated for changing their thought pattern from negative ones to the positive ones. As negative thoughts are the main pillar behind suicidal thoughts so, it is very important to fill a patients mind with healthy thoughts.
- Medications: medications for depression also known as anti-depressants are given to the patients. They help by altering brain chemicals. There are different types of medications but initially selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSR’s) are mostly prescribed. Other classes of antidepressants include serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRI’s), norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRI’s), tricyclic antidepressants, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).
Medications often take 3-4 weeks to react and work according to the National Institute of Health (NIH).
These are some of the causes and symptoms of depression. Treatment of depression is also discussed in this section. For more health and beauty-related tips, follow this section closely.