Language development in children varies considerably, even within the same family. However, children tend to follow natural speech progression for mastering the skills of language. There is baby speech development timeline that can be identified as normal baby speech development. This article will tell you how to teach baby to talk and when do babies start talking clearly.
Baby speech development timeline
Although babies tend to develop the speech at their own rate, but there are some general patterns given below:
- From birth to 3 months of age, babies only cry and coo.
- From 4 to 6 months of age, babies sigh, grunt, laugh and make various kinds of crying sounds.
- Between 6 to 9 months of age, babies talk rapidly in a foolish, excited or incomprehensible way. You may also notice babies imitating tones and speech sounds.
- At the age of 1 year, baby’s first words usually appear and between the age of 18 to 24 months, children use around 50 words and will start putting two words together into a short sentence.
- Between the age of 2-3 years, children start extending sentence to 4-5 words. At this age, children can recognize and identify almost all common objects around them. A stranger would be able to understand words.
- Between 3-5 years of age, conversations become longer and more abstract.
- When children turn 5, they usually have a 2500 words vocabulary. They start talking completely and ask more why, when, who, and what questions.
How to teach baby to talk?
Want to learn how to teach baby to talk? Parents can help their baby to start talking by:
- Making faces and talking about your activities from the day your baby is born.
- Playing interactive games and singing nursery rhymes.
- Looking at the books from an early age. You don’t have to read books, just talk about what you can see.
- Talking slowly and clearly. You can use simple words or sentences while trying to talk with your baby. If your child is already talking, try using longer sentences.
- Avoiding asking questions like when, why, what.
- Letting your child lead the conversation.
- Giving your child a lot of opportunities to talk with plenty of time to answer your questions.
- Reducing background noise from T.V. especially when talking to your child.
When do babies start talking clearly?
Babies start talking clearly at the age of 5. They mostly speak a few words at the age of 3. In case your baby is not able to talk even between the age of 4-5, you may need to consult a child doctor.
We hope this article helped you in knowing about the baby speech development timeline. To get more tips related to kids health, watch this section closely.